[Fedora-xen] Boot fails with 2.6.20-295.10.fc7

Langdon Stevenson langdon at lindenrow.com.au
Tue May 29 11:59:37 UTC 2007

> Langdon Stevenson wrote:
>> Ok, have just read up on 64 bit Fedora and have concluded that (as I use
>> this machine as a day to day workstation) I probably can't switch to the
>> 64 bit kernel easily.
>>
>> I use quite a large mix of applications, so it is likely that the 64 bit
>> kernel will cause me other problems even if it fixes my Xen issue.  So
>> my strong preference is to stick with the 32 bit kernel
>
> Is there a particular application which could be a problem?  Usually
> it's a matter of wanting to run a 32 bit browser so that proprietary
> plugins will work (yes, I'm looking at you Adobe).  32 bit apps in
> general should run fine on a 64 bit kernel, provided you install the
> relevant 32 bit libs.

Hi Richard

Thanks for the feedback.  I was basing my comment above on what I had
found via Google on the pros and cons of 32 v's 64 bit Linux kernels.

My situation is that I have put together a new workstation that I use
every day, with a 32 bit kernel and all of the application that I need
(other than virtualisation).   What I read suggested that I would see
little benefit from a 64 bit kernel in this context

It took me almost two weeks to set up this new machine (I have just
ditched Windows for Linux, so I am on a steep learning curve) with all
of the applications that I need and I am scared stiff of having to
rebuild from the ground up to get a xen kernel.

Given that, if I switch to a 64 bit kernel is everything still going to
work?  Or will it require that I start from scratch?

Regards,
Langdon