[Fedora-xen] xen and lvm

Augusto Castelan Carlson accarlson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 16:31:55 UTC 2007

Hi!

On 11/7/07, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
> Augusto Castelan Carlson wrote:
> > I did a lvextend to add 1G to myguest, but how can I make my guest see
> > that change?
> > In lvm How To they use the command resize2fs to resize the filesystem,
> > but I do not realize how to apply that changes to guests using LVM or
> > partitioned by the guest installer.
> >
> > I tried to use the guest drive partitioned as /dev/xvda1 (boot),
> > /dev/xvda2 (/) and /dev/xvda3 (/home) and also with LVM.
> >
> > How can I make the guest see that change?
>
> I think pvresize is the command (in the guest).  However I'd strongly
> suggest that you take a look at a few FAQs and HOWTOs, for example:
>
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

Thanks, it works!  With the new space unallocated in the guest a have
created a new partition, create a new PV, extended the VG and the LV.

To resize the guest down, the procedure is different as the file
system can't be reduced on-line...

I'm having no success reducing the files system. After reducing, I can
restart it ("kernel panic, not syncing"). I tried to resize down the
guest accessing the LV through the host with 1) kpartx, pvscan,
lvchange, e2fsck, resize2fs, lvreduce and also 2) doing the resize2fs
through the host and the rest in the guest. Both approaches failed for
me. Are these the correct way to do that? Or there is a better way to
do that?

Thanks!

Regards,
--