[Fedora-xen] Re: xen, revisor

Arno Karner arnokarner at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 07:41:27 UTC 2007

Arno,

May we know what version of Fedora you are using, and what
version/distribution it is you're trying to create?

* fc7 with test repos + my repos

Arno Karner wrote:
> ok I make a new dvd iso image with revisor, modify the isolinux.cfg so
> it boots, and installs with my kickstart file.

Revisor does that already, so what is it you edit? Further on in the
message I see you add another option but also you want to troubleshoot
really fast. Manually adding in an option doesn't seem like the most
efficient thing to do.

* revisor doesn't do the default kickstart file right, corectectly at the moment, and
* certainly doesn't do multiple kickstart files boot menu options yet
* so i deconstuct the image, copy my kick start files to the iso image
* copy my isolinux.cfg menu, reconstruct the image

> I look at the anaconda.ks.cfg and none of my rpm packages, which were
> installed show up.

Depending on what is in your original kickstart I'm sure the sample
kickstart anaconda writes out after install is much different. In
particular when any of the packages fail to install.

* my kickstart ran too comletion, but none of my packages which were
* installed showed up in the anaconda.ks.cfg, I'd really like to
* get some kind of feed back loop working so dep packages show up

> Now I'm trying to trouble shoot the post install section of a few of my
> packages, which didn't seem to be executed,
> so is there some where to look. install log didn't show anything useful.

I think the %post scripts of your packages is an OK point to start
troubleshooting.

* well the first package I'm trouble shooting is not a simple one
* its a multiple package spec file unfortanlly Requires: is not a
* %command <sub package> format command

> How do I get my rpm-keys installed, doing it from an rpm is not possible
> because rpm does not support nested transactions,
> any Ideas here welcome also. the key files are in the root directory od
> the install image, but that is not good enough.
>
> I looked at the spec file of the package in question and it had a
> Requires: <package> <package> but the packages were not installed,
> or complained about. Hence other packages that were installed gave
> warning messages about user xxx, group yyyy not defined using root:root
> not what I wanted........

Are you saying yum and anaconda are having difficulties eating your
packages, or any package? I remember something called PreRequires to
indicate the package being required should be actually installed before
the package requiring is installed. Did you check any Provides:
user(foo), group(bar), against any Requires: user(foo), group(bar)? Are
these your very own packages? Have you tested excluding your own
packages see how that goes?

* PreRequires theres something worth looking into, because
* yes I want certain of my packages to be installed before others

> I'm reducing the install ks.cfg file, to make trouble shooting this in
> xen faster, and including a second menu option for a full install of
> what I want.
>
> Sorry for the cross post but this issue deals with revisor, xen,
> anaconda. I'll be looking into the anaconda emailing list next.

I really don't think this has anything to do with xen.

* your right I apologize, I left out the parts about how do I get
* my virtual machine to reboot off the cd the second, third time I restart it
* to test the different install menu  items without deleting the virt machine and recreating
* how do I change the cd/dvd isoimage to handle the second piece of media

> I am using bleeding edge rpms, git fc7.testing revisor:git pull, and I
> should expect this. So I thought I'd ask while I try and reduce my loop
> time from 4+ hours
> build iso image, xen.new virt machine + play free civ, update scripts
> and ks.list(s)....repeat
>
> Ideas, flames, constructive criticizing welcome.

Here's an idea. The average desktop floating around any company will
beat you to the 4+ hours of composing time (~30 minutes) and another
will brighten your day doing installs in 15 minutes or less.

* soon that might be an option, but using xen, is where some of this is going
* kickstart files for different virt machine configurations, kind of hard to test those on
* a desktop machine, without running xen which brings me to where I am.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
- -kanarip

sorry for the poor quoting, but yahoo does lack common features, like quoting replies

  Arno