[Fedora-xen] Creating and installing Centos under virt-manager

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 13:39:18 UTC 2007

Andrew Cathrow wrote:
> A network install is the best option but you can always add and remove
> devices using virsh
>
> Have a look in the man page for virsh at attach-disk and detach-disk
>

> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 22:36 -0400, Mark Nielsen wrote:
>> or create a DVD .iso file from the 6 CDs. I have instructions on my
>> website, www.certifried.com <http://www.certifried.com>
>>
>> John Summerfield wrote:

>> > Last I read, the ability to change CD was "planned for the future."
>> >
>> > You're better off using the DVD image. If you can find a .jigdo file
>> > and template (I think CentOS does it), then you don't have to download
>> > much of CentOS 5 again.
>> >
>> > Or do a network install: nfs should work really well over a virtual LAN.

If you don't mind the bleeding edge, the latest release of libvirt
supports connecting and disconnecting cdrom backing devices (or isos)
from a fullvirt xen guest. The xen guest must have a cdrom device with
no "source" line in its xml definition (unfortunately we don't support
this with KVM yet although we plan to soon). If you call "virsh
attach-device <domain> <device.xml>" where "device.xml" is an xml file
with a complete device definition like so:

     <disk type='block' device='cdrom'>
       <source dev='/dev/cdrom'/>
       <target dev='hdc'/>
       <readonly/>
     </disk>

then libvirt will attach your host cdrom device to the guest's cdrom
device. Then to disconnect the cdrom, call "virsh attach-device <domain>
<device.xml>" where "device.xml" is an xml file like the above, but with
no "source" element.

The upcoming release of virt-manager (should be out today if it isn't
already) has UI that supports this capability. Again, to be clear, this
only works for fully virtualized Xen guests at the moment; we're working
on adding it to kvm but have no idea when that will be available.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Take care,
--Hugh

--