[Fedora-xen] Creating and installing Centos under virt-manager

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 04:25:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 08:09:22AM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> John Lagrue wrote:
> >All working a treat: created the guest (fully virtualised - I have no
> >time for Xen), setup disk space in a 6Gb file, gave it a name, and
> >pointed the installation source to be the first of 6 .iso files for
> >Centos 5 installation
> >
> >......then it asks for the second CDRom!
> >
> >How the blazes is one supposed to tell it where to get the file?
> >
> >I'm completely stuck! I thought this was supposed to work with .iso
> >files and I wouldn't have to burn 6 CDs. But what happens now?
> >
> Last I read, the ability to change CD was "planned for the future."

Latest upstream libvirt & virt-manager now has support for this on Xen.
The support for KVM will be coming soon too. I hope to get it into
Fedora 8, and then subsquently it'll be in a Fedora 7 update. In the
meantime our recommendation is to use the 'images/boot.iso' from the
install tree, and then point it at an NFS/HTTP/FTP location for the
main package install stage.

> Or do a network install: nfs should work really well over a virtual LAN.

Yep, NFS or HTTP will work. NFS is slighty better if you have limited
memory in the guest, since it can execute-in-place, while HTTP needs to
use 60 MB or so of RAM just to hold the installer download.

Dan.