[Fedora-xen] Possible Stupid Question...

Dustin Henning Dustin.Henning at prd-inc.com
Wed Apr 2 13:19:27 UTC 2008

David,

                This is probably a "something stupid" related to Linux more
than Xen.  It sounds like the system isn't booting at all, and the most
likely cause is that the drivers necessary for the SAS are not in the
kernel.  Linux picks appropriate drivers for the machine you install on and
then all updates use those drivers, so when you move to new hardware, it
just doesn't work.  If you copy the kernel and modules from the working
machine to the machine that didn't work when you did your dd_rescue, it
might boot with them, however, when it comes time to update, you will need
to manually compile your new kernels instead of using the standard automated
update method, i.e. do the standard update, ut then do a custom compile and
boot to the custom kernel, not the one from the standard update, as it ill
crash, but the custom compiled one will be compatible with the other changes
made by the automatic update.  This is far from detailed and complete, as it
has been a while since I have dealt with that kind of thing, but I most
often experienced it switching from "Compatibility Mode" SATA to AHCI on
some machines that I didn't want to rebuild.  I n your case, a rebuild on
the problem machine is probably a better option, as you can then migrate
whatever you want however you want to a clean machine with no thorn in its
side.

                Dustin