[Fedora-xen] Testing LiveCD distros as guests?

jean-Noël Chardron Jean-Noel.Chardron at dr15.cnrs.fr
Tue Aug 12 13:03:24 UTC 2008

Philip Rhoades wrotes :
  I want to test out a bunch of LiveCD distributions - is it possible to
set these up as guests under Xen so I don't have to shut down my main
machine?

I did that with virt-install :

Suppose you have a iso image of the cdrom and the Virtual Technology in
the processor on recent computer :

on line 4 you can write what you want even the disk path of another VM
so you can tune the it's file system
on line 8 where is your iso image (don't need  burn a cd)

[root at baudelaire ~]# virt-install
1 Would you like a fully virtualized guest (yes or no)?  This will allow
you to run unmodified operating systems. yes
2  What is the name of your virtual machine? knoppix
3  How much RAM should be allocated (in megabytes)? 400
4  What would you like to use as the disk (file path)?
/virtualMachines/knoppix.img
5  Disk /virtualMachines/knoppix.img is already in use by another guest!
6 Do you really want to use the disk (yes or no)?  yes
7  Would you like to enable graphics support? (yes or no) yes
8  What is the virtual CD image, CD device or install location?
/home/KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso

Starting install...
libvir: Xen Daemon erreur : opération GET échouée : xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
libvir: Xen Daemon erreur : opération GET échouée : xend_get: error from
xen daemon:
Creating domain...                                       |    0 B
00:08
libGL error: open DRM failed (Opération non permise)
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

the Vm start in a new window