[Fedora-xen] VFS: Cannot open root device

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Dec 22 22:54:58 UTC 2008

On 2008-12-22 4:41 PM, Siddharth Wagh wrote:
> how do i know what the root partition is?
> i gave the option:
> root="/dev/hda"
> in the config file.

Labels are your friend here.   E.g. on my machine 'borlaug' I have:

         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.6-49.fc8 ro root=LABEL=borlaug-root

which I set using the e2label command from Dom0 (e2label will also
report the current label).  This works especially nicely when you have
to switch between hd/sd and xvd devices, e.g. installing in HVM mode but
running in paravirt, the device changes but the label stays the same.

-Bill

Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/