[Fedora-xen] [resolved] Re: "Invalid kernel" error on PV creation -- what's invalid?

JimmyT _ jtatpbl at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:35:44 UTC 2008

To close the loop, this problem turns out to be a cobbler/koan issue.
the kernel really IS invalid.

with the help of "high_roller" in #rhel, i found that koan's pulling
the vmlinuz kernel from the cobbler server over an http:// connection
-- rather than an apparently required https:// -- and loading the
resultant error-page html INTO the vmlinuz file used to (attempt to)
create the PV.

i.e., the pull occurs as expected, no error about the pull is
launched, but the process populates the target DL with error code.

of course, this results in the 'kernel', now populated with garbage,
being identified as "invalid".

since i'd checked my source files, and as i read the logs to imply the
pull was happening without error, I simply didn't look at what
actually WAS pulled.

i'll communicate with the cobbler/koan author to iron this out.

hope someone else finds this helpful.

jimmy