[Fedora-xen] what steps are required to manually move a PV domU from one machine to another?

fc xen list fcxen at itsbeen.sent.com
Sat Feb 2 21:38:50 UTC 2008

My bad, the clone army master was on eth0 and the clone army slaves were on
eth1 so when I copied the xml dump, I changed everything but that
       <source bridge='eth1'/>

ugh, but please read below for problems with vanilla F8 and virt-clone.

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 12:48:20PM -0800, fc xen list wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a problem - I created a lovely bunch of F8 x86_64 domUs and I
>> want to create a vast clone army of them using different dom0s. The problem
>> is, I do:
>>
>> fm # virt-install c1 (no graphics)
>> fm # xm start c1
>> fm # xm shutdown c1 [ ok I don't _always_ shut it down :P  ]
>
> Welcome to the world of massive data corruption if you copy the
> disk without shutting down.

Yeah, I know, but they are pretty inactive and it has worked great in the past.

>> fm # scp -p c1.img othermachine:/var/lib/xen/images
>> then:
>> om1 # virsh define c1.xml
>
> You can't just use the same XML for each - you need to change the UUID,
> the namem, and disk image in the XML at very least.

Sorry, I do change that - id, name, image, MAC address, etc.

>> om1 # xm start c1
>>
>> and hangville,
>> if I do:
>> om1 # xmstart c1 -c
>> it seems to hang just after the grub boot menu.
>
> Define hang ? If the guest is configured with graphical framebuffer it
> is perfectly expected that you'll not see anything on the text console
> while booting.

I always choose no graphics on the virt-install
The xm list state is usually --p--

>> I assume I am "doing it wrong" but this worked great in the past.
>
> You might want to try the 'virt-clone' tool which will automate much of
> the stuff.

Thanks for mentioning that, I can't - my VMs always enter a "no state" state
when I shut them down and virt-clone won't clone them unless they are in a
different state that I can't seem to get them to go into.

One confusing thing is xm list and virsh use different terms. In xm list the
VM shows as state "------"

Example:
# xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  5143     8     r-----  10708.0
c1                                          30  1200     1     -b----   3294.3
c2                                          28   768     1     -b----    349.4
c3                                          34  2465     1     ------      0.0

# virsh list --all
  Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
   0 Domain-0             running
  28 m66                  blocked
  30 m62                  blocked
   - m82                  no state

I have never had a machine go to any other state, other than "------" (or "no
state" in virsh) after a xm shutdown*, should be using some other shutdown
method? All my builds are using vanilla F8 x86_64 and virt-install, no custom
kernels or other monkey business. A different dom0 with a centos51 and F8 domU
that I just did xm shutdown on, they both go to no state:

# xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  2358     4     r-----  15402.7
d1                                           7   375     1     -b----    466.3
c51                                         22   768     1     ------    138.9
f8-2                                        21   512     1     ------     57.3

[root at sc-t131 ~]# virsh list --all
  Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
   0 Domain-0             running
   7 d1                   blocked
   - c51                  no state
   - f8-2                 no state

Example of state during hanging after xm start attempt of c3:
# xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  5143     8     r-----  10715.6
c1                                          30  1200     1     -b----   3294.3
c2                                          28   768     1     -b----    349.4
c3                                          35  2465     1     --p---      0.0

# virsh list --all
  Id Name                 State
   0 Domain-0             running
  28 m66                  blocked
  30 m62                  blocked
  35 m82                  paused

I'd love to use virt-clone...

> Dan.

* OK, one goes into "---s-d" but that is upgraded from a previous Fedora
version, so I don't worry about that one. All others are new virt-install
installs.