[Fedora-xen] Fedora 8 DomU (i386) does not work on Fedora 8 (x86_64) host

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Wed Jan 2 20:17:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm using Xen since Fedora Core 6. My Dom0 runs the latest version of
Fedora 8. Currently, I can install a Fedora 8 i386 DomU. The installation
always hangs after formatting the virtual hard drive. The only message is
"Please wait... This may take a few minutes" (from memory, translated from
German). Unfortunately, this message appears not for some minutes but stays
"forever" (at least 30 minutes).

My computer is reasonably fast (AMD X2) with plenty of RAM (4 GB). With
Fedora 8 (x86_64) this messages is only visible for some seconds. There is
no difference if I do install F8 i386 as HVM or PV domain.

One thing I noticed is that I did not manage to install Fedora 8 using QEMU.

Did anyone experience similar issues? I suspect, my local Fedora
installation repository may be faulty although all packages are fine
(checked with "rpm --checksig *") and I regenerated the repodata multiple
times.

Any hints? Thank you very much.
fs