[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen, qemu, kvm etc summary and speed of virtual machines in F8

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 24 14:20:04 UTC 2008

Phil Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> Is there available a plain summary of how all the different bits of
> virtualisation fit together?  The stuff I have found so far is more
> confusing than anything . .
>
> I have been toying around with virtual machines on FC6, F7 and now F8
> but there seems to have been a big slow-down in performance with F8?
>
> This speed issue is why I have been trying to get a better understanding
> of how all the bits fit together, see where the bottlenecks are and what
> I can do to improve performance so that I might use the virtual machines
> for real work.

I'll throw my "me too" in. I am sure my first guest, Debian an an F8
beta, could do disk at 148 Mbytes/sec, as measured with hdparm.

This made some kind of sense, I thought, as it would be hitting RAM on
the host.

No more, disk is about Pentium class or worse.

I've been using hardware virtualisation all the time, and that first
guest was with Xen.

--

Cheers
John