[Fedora-xen] management of this list

Markus Armbruster armbru at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 08:07:09 UTC 2008

John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> writes:

> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
>> I'm not going to get into this discussion again, other than to refer
>> you to the previous thread
>>
>>   http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2007-May/msg00021.html
>
> That's one reply I did not see. I have seen the article it links to,
> and I don't agree with some of its basic assumptions.

This tired topic has been discussed to death many times over on many
lists, including this one.  I wouldn't expect agreement to jump at us
out of the bushes now.

>> To quote Markus
>>
>>  "This just replaces one set of problems with a different set of
>>   arguably worse problems, shifting the annoyance from one set of people
>>   (which includes John) to another set (which includes me)."
>>
>> So no, it won't be changing.
>
> If all email clients shipped by RH and Fedora were "reasonable
> mailers" as assumed by Chip, I really wouldn't care so much.
>
> I could almost cope if the version of mailman Red Hat's using would
> gaily send me so-called duplicates, but it won't. I've checked my
> configuration.
>
> Whatever _I_ do, I miss replies others make. If you, Dan, choose
> "group reply" or "reply to all,"[1] I often don't get it. I've never
> seen value in off-list replies, except for very rare cases where,
> maybe highlighting someone's ignorance might embarrass them, but they
> need to be put straight.

I don't understand how you miss replies *often*.  Can you identify the
conditions that make you miss a reply?  If you can, we might be able
to help you fix that.

> I for one would be happy if my email address never went to email
> lists; the fact it does is the reason I need to apply antispam to this
> domain.

Tough.

> [1] I don't see the point of those wrt _this_ list. Mutt users might
> try L to reply to the list.
[...]
> You cannot reply off-list:-)

I consider that bad manners.  Discussion of manners, however, is quite
off-topic on this list.  Feel free to reply to me personally.