[Fedora-xen] management of this list

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 29 23:37:47 UTC 2008

Evan Lavelle wrote:
> This eventually comes up on most of the mailing lists I'm on (lots of
> them). I was as surprised as you were on finding out that some lists
> were set to reply to sender. Some people like it that way; your only
> choice is to live with it. Always 'reply all', edit the fields, delete
> duplicates, find something else to worry about. I'm not aware that I've
> ever missed a duplicate, though; I don't understand that issue.

Since I tend not to get the help I need, I think I won't be around much
longer.

> John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> I for one would be happy if my email address never went to email
>> lists; the fact it does is the reason I need to apply antispam to this
>> domain.
>
> All the spam I've got over the last few years (a lot) has come from
> address harvesting of mailman lists. There's only one answer, which is
> never to use an important mail address on a mailing list. I use a free
> (exim plussed) address. You get a base name, and can put whatever you
> want on the end of it, with a '+' in between. You create a new address
> for each list, and throw away the address if you get spam on it. The
> only hassle is that Thunderbird makes it difficult to edit the sender
> address in an outgoing mail, so you need to set up a new identity for
> each list. Thunderbird also has problems selecting the correct identity
> when replying to a list message, so you frequently have to manually
> select the correct 'from' address from all your identities.

I have a free domain; traffic from a few servers[1] world wide goes
directly to an internal server that handles it.

I've gone from getting lots of spam to getting none, for that domain.
I'm not about to undo that antispam measure. It beats block lists,
header checking and so on hands down.

[1] It does mean that email from those servers can't reach my regular server

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait