[Fedora-xen] kernel-xen is dead

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Sat Jul 26 16:35:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 14:24 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Is there a doc somewhere to say how to migrate from Xen boots using rootfs
> (not bootable disk image) to kvm?

There are some of us with some fairly substantial servers bought just a
few years ago that don't have hardware virtualization support. I believe
KVM still requires such support, and I don't know if that's ever going
to change.

So, until there is a new dom0 in Fedora there will be us poor souls
living back on F8 with little budget to swap out and buy HVM capable
hardware. As long as future fedora domU's continue to work on F8 dom0, I
suppose we can float along for a couple of releases until something
changes.

It's a little worrisome that patches won't be forthcoming for F8, but we
can mitigate that somewhat by running little more than the hypervisor on
the dom0.

Keep up the great work and forward momentum, but have pity on those of
us using Fedora in production with the above limitations.