[Fedora-xen] Re: No Dom0 support in Fedora 9 and Fedora 8 EOL

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 21:25:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:40:57AM +0000, Martin Vuille wrote:
> Felix Schwarz <felix.schwarz at web.de> wrote in
> news:4859EFE2.4090101 at web.de:
> > Martin Vuille schrieb:
> >> Since upgrading from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9 isn't an option
> >> for anyone using Xen, I am wondering if there is any plan to
> >> extend Fedora 8's support period beyond the usual one month?
> >
> > Frankly I don't know but I don't think that this is very
> > likely to happen. If upgrading is an issue for you, you
> > should look at RHEL (or one of the 'gratis' clones like
> > CentOS).
>
> I don't have an issue with upgrading; I chose Fedora because I
> wanted a distro that was at the leading edge.
>
> But that doesn't mean that I want to upgrade to the latest Fedora
> release on the same day it's released. I will upgrade during the
> one-month grace period if I have to, but I would have been more
> comfortable with a little more wiggle room.

You'll need to ask Dan Berrange to be certain, but I'm pretty
sure the plan is to have a dom0 kernel ready some time during the
lifetime of F9.

The reason we don't have an F9 dom0 kernel right now is because
there *isn't one*.  Ask XenSource to provide something more recent
than > 2 year old Linux 2.6.18 support!  Red Hat are committing
two full time developers right now to fix this situation, but it
is NOT our fault.

You might also want to try out KVM.

Rich.