[Fedora-xen] Newby Help

Mark Nielsen mnielsen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 01:37:30 UTC 2008

Walter Coole wrote:
> uname -a
> Linux cloudy 2.6.20-1.3002.fc6xen #1 SMP Mon Aug 13 14:21:21 EDT 2007
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ok, so it's 64 on 64, just making sure. I've seen similar random crash
during install errors when people try to run 32 on 64 PV (not supported
and buggy)
> FWIW, the file that Anaconda is complaining about is
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os//ima
> ges/stage2.img , which seems to be sitting there as advertised, although
> my link is pretty slow; could it be timing out over the transfer?

hm, I've seen the same thing many times, failing to get stage2. The
typical problem is networking. dom0 gets the initial images to set the
install up, then somewhere around the time stage2 gets picked up,
networking is set up inside the guest to download the packages. I
strongly suspect some networking issue with the bridge not correctly
configured. Unfortunately that's going to be a little harder to
troubleshoot... maybe someone can chime in that's an expert on
troubleshooting bridges. One easy way to fix this might be to download
the FC6 ISOs and create your own install repo on the local network, or
even the same machine if possible.
> If understand the flags:
>
> [wcoole at cloudy ~/Desktop]$ egrep "svm|vmx" /proc/cpuinfo
> [wcoole at cloudy ~/Desktop]$
>
> I cannot run Fully-virtualized guests, which seems to imply that I have
> to run a para-virt guest.

correct
> I was imagining that it would be simplest to use a file (on the host
> filesystem) as the filesystem for the guest, but I've probably mangled
> the configuration.  I'm using this command to start it:
>
> sudo /usr/sbin/xm create -c football.cfg
>
> It seems likely that I haven't got the config set right; here's
> football.cfg:
>
> cat football.cfg
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.3002.fc6xen"
> memory = 256
> name = "football"
> vif = [ '' ]
> dhcp = "dhcp"
> disk = ['file://xen/fedora/football.img,sda1,w',
> 'file://xen/fedora/football.swap,sda2,w']
> root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

I use LVMs for my guest root and other disks.. again hopefully someone
else can chime in to verify if that's correct. One thing I do notice
here is that the vif is blank. That could be an issue related to the
problem above?
> I got the img, swap, and cfg files from the tarball at
> http://jailtime.org/download:fedora:fc6 , but copied and hacked them
> without really knowing what I was doing.  I'm not fixated on any
> particular approach, just trying to do the easy thing to get started so
> I can fool myself into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Mark