[Fedora-xen] Cannot erase unsuccessfully created guests

Gastón Keller gastonkeller at gmail.com
Tue May 27 19:36:29 UTC 2008

Hello, list. I've been playing with Xen lately and it was only until
yesterday that I could successfully create a guest with Fedora 8
installed on it (the one with name _cero_). The problem is that all
the previous attempts have generated _records_ that I cannot erase.
The following is from the terminal:

[root at alfa11 gkeller2]# virsh list
 Id Name                 State
----------------------------------
  0 Domain-0             running
 10 cero                 blocked

[root at alfa11 gkeller2]# /usr/sbin/xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  1237     2     r-----   3085.3
cero                                        10   256     1     -b----    728.5
fedora0                                          256     1                 0.0
guest0                                           256     1                 0.0
vm0                                              512     1                 0.0
xen0                                             512     1                 0.0
zero                                             256     1                 0.0
[root at alfa11 gkeller2]# virsh destroy xen0
error: Failed to destroy domain xen0

[root at alfa11 gkeller2]# /usr/sbin/xm destroy xen0
[root at alfa11 gkeller2]# /usr/sbin/xm list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  1237     2     r-----   3086.2
cero                                        10   256     1     -b----    728.6
fedora0                                          256     1                 0.0
guest0                                           256     1                 0.0
vm0                                              512     1                 0.0
xen0                                             512     1                 0.0
zero                                             256     1                 0.0
[root at alfa11 gkeller2]#

It seems virsh doesn't detect those records, but xm does. Also, virsh
cannot destroy them (what makes sense if it cannot see them), neither
can xm.

My problem is that, as far as I know, those _records_ of failed guest
have memory assigned from dom0 and they affect the creation of new
guests.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Gaston