[Fedora-xen] Xen Documentation

Ian Jackson Ian.Jackson at eu.citrix.com
Fri May 30 13:51:18 UTC 2008

Gastón Keller writes ("Re: [Fedora-xen] Xen Documentation"):
> _The Fedora team has followed the Xensource model and begun to store
> all VM configuration details in a database, referred to as xenstore._
> Source: http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/06/07/fedora-7-xen-first-look/

I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet :-).

Open Source Xen doesn't store configuration details in a database.  It
uses plain text configuration files in /etc.  To a limited amount
information about xend-managed domains is stored in /var in what is
arguably a kind of database, but not in xenstore.

Xenstore is not a database containing configuration details; it is
cleared out at reboot.  The name is misleading; the earlier name
`xenbus' is clearer: xenstore is used as an inter-component
communication mechanism, for communicating between the various
non-hypervisor components of a running system, and particularly for
advertising devices to paravirtualised guests.

As I understand it, the proprietary XenSource XenServer product does
indeed keep much in a database but that database is not xenstore.
(But I don't really work on the proprietary side so I may be wrong.)

I don't know what, if anything, is changing in Fedora.  It's difficult
to tell from that blog posting.  Perhaps some of the Fedora guys here
on this list can enlighten us; otherwise ask on fedora-xen ?

Ian.