[Fedora-xen] Xen Documentation

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri May 30 14:11:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 02:51:18PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Gastón Keller writes ("Re: [Fedora-xen] Xen Documentation"):
> > _The Fedora team has followed the Xensource model and begun to store
> > all VM configuration details in a database, referred to as xenstore._
> > Source: http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/06/07/fedora-7-xen-first-look/
>
> I wouldn't believe everything you read on the internet :-).
>
> Open Source Xen doesn't store configuration details in a database.  It
> uses plain text configuration files in /etc.  To a limited amount
> information about xend-managed domains is stored in /var in what is
> arguably a kind of database, but not in xenstore.

Or it uses text files in /var/lib/xen for domain configs.

> I don't know what, if anything, is changing in Fedora.  It's difficult
> to tell from that blog posting.  Perhaps some of the Fedora guys here
> on this list can enlighten us; otherwise ask on fedora-xen ?

We haven't changed anything in Xen in this regard. In Xen 3.0.3 and
ealier the only place to store config files was in /etc, and XenD had
no concept of inactive domains. In Xen 3.0.4 or later, XenD can directly
manage inactive domains, storing their configs in /var/lib/xen/. IF
libvirt detects a new enough XenD it will use its inactive domain
management capabilities instead of putting configs in /etc, since this
gives access to a greater level of functionality.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|