[Fedora-xen] [Xen-devel] Re: Status of Xen in vanilla?] / pv_ops dom0 support in Linux

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Wed Nov 12 12:38:37 UTC 2008

----- Forwarded message from Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy at goop.org> -----

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy at goop.org>
To: LKML <linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org>
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel at lists.xensource.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:53:37 -0800
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Status of Xen in vanilla?

Maximilian Wilhelm wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I'm wondering about the status of Xen support in the vanilla kernel.
>I know that DomU support is inside the kernel an evolving, but I did
>not find an up-to-date hint about the status of Dom0 support.
>
>A while ago I read that it should be included in 2.6.28, but I do not
>find any current pointer about the status of this.

.28 was a bit optimistic; .29 seems reasonable.  The current dom0 kernel
patches can boot up to a fully functional dom0 usersmode, and you can
start xend to see that domain 0 is running.  I *think* in theory you can
create a deviceless domain, but I haven't tried it.  I'm currently
working on blktap support.

I really need to put together a proper status update.  Now that dom0
usermode is working, its a much better base for other people start
contributing.