Re: [Fedora-xen] Xen - large virtual machines

On Sep 14, 2008, at 9:16, Alex Davies wrote:

Two of our virtual machines require >30T of storage, and no redundancy, so we will run one VM on each Thumper (with local storage).

Are you replacing the 500GB disks with 1TB disks in the Thumbers?

Unless "no redundancy" really truly means "it's fine if it breaks a lot", then please keep in mind the numbers. 40+ disks are that many times more likely to fail than one disk. Don't just stripe all the disks into one big volume. Either keep them as separate devices so they fail individually or use RAID5 or (better) RAID6 and keep plenty spares ready. Your plan of doing RAID in sets of 8 or so disks is probably about right.

 - ask