[Fedora-xen] Re: Dom0 Xen kernel RPM

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 10:50:12 UTC 2009

Jan ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> I can help him to do this (I am an fedora packager), but there is no
> functional 2.6.29+ kernel for dom0.

Thats why I didn't even try to package it up.  At this point in time
this all is still very experimental and IMHO too far away from being usable.

I'm testing the kernels on two machines here. The i386 laptop doesn't
even boot.  The x86_64 box suffers from the mysterious ahci issue (sata
suddenly stops working at some point).

Also the network backend doesn't compile right now, so your guests can't
have network connectivity.  Also blktap isn't there yet.

> There is no new patches for dom0 in 2.6.29, because Jeremy is moving code
> from mercurial to git, but it in the middle of this work.

He sends out pull requests already, queuing up xen stuff (and x86
cleanups)  in ingos tip tree.

If it goes well .30 boots as dom0 kernel.  I don't expect much of the
backend infrastructure makes it into .30 though (i.e. you need patches
to actually run guests).  At this point the changes needed might be
non-invasive enougth that it might be reasonable to carry them as
patches in the fedora kernel.

> I am trying to daily update from mercurial and seeing also git status, but
> no change in mercurial aprox. 5 days ago ang git does not contain dom0.

Looks like the mercurial repo is dead.

cheers,
  Gerd