[Fedora-xen] Re: [fedora-virt] Re: Dom0 kernels

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Mar 9 12:43:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:09:55AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:20:26AM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:

> > > Either that, or the xen is a bit out-of-date because Fedora had no dom0
> > > kernel (thus no testing) since Fedora 8 ...
> > >
> > > I'd suggest to file bugs.  Most likely the culprit is libvirt.
> > >

> > Actually we hunted this down with Cole Robinson and Jeremy..
> >
> > The reason is pv_ops dom0 kernel is still missing /sys/hypervisor infos..
> > virt-install (or libvirt) needs that info to fetch the capabilities.
>
> We could probably switch over to making a hypercall to fetch that info
> if /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities isn't going to reappear in
> the near future ...

Just a followup to this thread too..

The patch (from old Redhat dom0 tree) implementing /sys/hypervisor feature
is here:
http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=linux-2.6-dom0-pvops.git;a=commit;h=7aa79a5603bb604e8bf4fe7c31cc9c8b3d3b7ea2

Hopefully Jeremy will merge it to current pv_ops dom0 tree.

Discussion about this on xen-devel:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg00472.html

And another (more recent) thread on fedora-xen/fedora-virt about this subject:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2009-March/msg00017.html

-- Pasi