[Freeipa-devel] argument passing

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 18:39:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 14:17 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> The problem is the dict opts. This is only available when using the
> XML-RPC interface.

Not sure I follow why the dict opts is only available with xmlrpc, must
be something specific to your code.

> I don't think optional arguments are possible at all, even with sane
> defaults, since there is no way to know which are which when coming
> via
> XML-RPC.

Optional arguments are possible, but if and only if they are omitted in
positional order working backwards from the end of the parameter list.

You are correct, optional arguments which do not preserve position are
not possible in xmlrpc, however wrappers can enforce the positional
requirements demanded by xmlrpc.

BTW, this is one of the downsides of xmlrpc. Xmlrpc was designed to be
butt-dumb simple, you don't get nuttin fancy for a vanilla bargain :-)
Simplicity has both virtues and limitations.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>