[Freeipa-devel] XML-RPC API: update_*

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 15:31:10 UTC 2007

The XML-RPC interface for updating things is a bit funky. One needs to
pass in the original entry and the new one and those are diffed and
committed by the API.

Kevin liked doing it this way because it decreased the chance of mid-air
collisions.

So if admin A and admin B both edited user U at the same time but
updated different fields both commits would succeed if we send the
original record. Otherwise one would stomp on the other.

That is fine but not everyone will want to carry the original data
around merely to pass it back. I'm proposing a compromise: we provide both.

I want to make it support an empty record ('') for old. If that happens
then we look up the current record and use that as the "old" entry.
Otherwise we use the one passed in. Alternatively I could create a
separate set of calls, one that handles old and new and one that just
handles new but that might be even more confusing.

Opinions?

rob