Re: [Freeipa-devel] Creating Delegations in IPA

David O'Brien wrote:
This was a bit confusing, but I think I know what is happening...

When you add a delegation in IPA, it first asks for a Name. My first
reaction was "who is the delegate?" but discovered that it means "What
are you going to call this delegation?"

 + Suggestion:  Delegation Name:

I know you're in the process of creating a trac account, this can be your first bug :-)

Then, "People in Group"
These are the people you're going to delegate certain tasks or abilities
to. You don't delegate to a person, only a group. If you want to
delegate to only one person, you have to create a group for that person.

 + Does it have to work this way? Could it not be "User or Group"?

Right now we only delegate to groups. If you want to delegate to a single person you'd have to create a new group, put that person in it, then delegate that. We're actually creating ACI's on the fly with this. From what I recall from when Kevin did this, adding support for user objects makes the parser exponentially more complex.

"For People in Group"
I didn't realize straight off, but you can specify that the delegation
only apply to specific groups. If you want to add a delegation that
applies across everyone, you would have to create a group that contained
everyone, right?

That is correct.

There's probably a good reason that it works the way it does, but that
was my initial reaction when I used it.

Comments/elaborations?

The current GUI has a slew of fields and check boxes. I have some ideas on how to make it easier to understand mostly by compressing things so you can more easily see that "oh, I'm saying let group A update attributes on group B and I'm going to call this thing a delegation."

I have a task for this but not sure when I'll get to it: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/freeipa/ticket/87

rob