[Freeipa-devel] default email is user at foo.bar in latest build

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 17:58:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 09:21 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> > I've never come across this before.
> >
> > Normally when I add a user the default email address is user at mydomain.com
> >
> > In the latest build, this has become user at foo.bar
> >
> > The only place I remember seeing foo.bar was in /etc/ipa/ipa.conf but
> > this is still configured the way it was before. Where is this value
> > coming from?
> >

> It comes from a call to ipa.config.config.default_realm (which is
> generated from /etc/ipa/ipa.conf). I'm not sure why something would have
> changed unless we aren't creating /etc/ipa/ipa.conf anymore.
>
> Simo, any ideas?

No, and the default_realm should really come from a call to the krb
libs.
In any case I really think we should remove that email thing. In most
cases it is wrong to assume that the realm is the same as the email
address.

In many companies I've seen things like this:
Realm: corp.company.com
Username: foo
Mail: foo.bar at company.com

we would end up by default with foo at corp.company.com and in all honesty
I am not sure why we would even propose an email address by default (of
course it is ok to have an attribute to host it, I am talking defaults
here) as we don't tie in a mail server.

| Simo S Sorce |
| Sr.Soft.Eng. |
| Red Hat, Inc |