[Freeipa-devel] Autogen uid/gid

Pete Rowley prowley at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 18:12:36 UTC 2007

Karl MacMillan wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 14:28 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 14:19 -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:
>>
>>> As I was doing some multi-machine testing w/ nfs I realized that forcing
>>> uid/gid generation is not going to work in all circumstances (I needed
>>> to force my uid/gid to be the same as an existing user on an exported
>>> filesystem).
>>>
>>> How can we handle this?
>>>
>> We can't easily.
>> Welcome to migration madness, and the unsuitability of unix platform to
>> work in heavily networked environments (just kidding but not too
>> much :-)
>>

> I think we must solve this - even if forcing the uid/gid is problematic
> and must be done carefully.

The DNA plugin will not generate a value if the attribute in question is
being set to a specific value. It will generate a new sequence value if
the value being set is the "magic" value, used to get a new generated
value for an existing entry (perhaps to fix up clashes from folk doing
things manually).

The current GUI forces you to have the values generated on creation, but
you can then go and edit the values to any that you choose after
creation.  This was done specifically to discourage manual assignment.
Migration really ought to be done some other way than typing over
entries one by one so I don't think this is such a hardship.

--
Pete