[Freeipa-devel] command-line arguments

Karl MacMillan kmacmill at redhat.com
Fri Sep 7 16:01:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 11:52 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 11:38 -0400, Karl MacMillan wrote:
> >
> > But it would be nice to be able to specify it via xml-rpc for
> > conversion
> > tools.
>
> If by "conversion" tools you mean migration

I do.

>  I say we should provide a
> specific tool.
> Pushing thousands of entries at once through the xml-rpc interface is
> not going to scale IMO.

I think we should make it scale (perhaps by providing an interface that
can batch the calls) for a few reasons:

1) It gives us a layer to gloss over differences in schema / do data
conversion.

2) It allows 3rd parties - including some admins - to more easily write
their own custom migration tools. Writing straight to ldap is always
going to be a pain for non-ldap developers.

3) It lowers the documentation burden significantly.

Karl