[Freeipa-devel] Adding GUID to the user

Karl MacMillan kmacmill at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 12:58:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 03:30 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> It seem that many LDAP servers today provide GUIDs for their objects.
> In particular while talking to OpenDirectory developers it came out that
> a GUID would make things easier for an hypotetical MacOSX Client, also
> it may make things a bit easier for a samba4 front-end using data on
> freeIPA.
>
> I'd like to add GUIDs to all our entries, is there any reason why we
> shouldn't ?
> Not sure yet how much work that will be, and if it is too much we can
> delay it by a few months eventually.
>
> Comments?

I think we should definitely do this as it is also needed by anyone that
wants to store information about our objects in a separate datastore
(like an sql database). Without a guaranteed stable identifier to use as
a primary key it would not be safe to store, say, additional information
about users in a separate data store.

It would be nice if this could be done in v1 timeframe - any thoughts
about how hard this is?

Karl