[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA Footprint

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Thu Feb 21 08:06:50 UTC 2008

I have been piecing together an authentication and authorization solution
using Kerberos and OpenLDAP for about two years [1]. I have recently begun
looking at FreeIPA. I may be able to help with the integration of Mac
OS X clients into a FreeIPA-based network.

I do have a few questions about FreeIPA, related to my interest in a
very low-footprint solution.

1. Is there a good document on reducing the memory footprint of the Fedora
Directory Server? On my computer, FDS / ns-slapd seems to use 500 MB of
memory. A similar configuration using OpenLDAP / slapd used only 20 MB.

2. Is there any interest in making the Fedora IPA packages more
fine-grained? For example, the web-based configuration tools brings in
quite a few dependencies. Could this be split into an separate package? In
this case, I am interested in disk space.

[1] http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/01/17/serving-apples-integrating-mac-os-x-clients-into-a-fedora-network/