[Freeipa-devel] Moving from /usr/share/

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 18:53:05 UTC 2008

Karl MacMillan wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 17:18 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Rich Megginson wrote:

>>> What will you use /usr/lib/ipaserver for?
>> We have python libraries there, some of which we might be able to coerce
>> into /usr/lib/python*/site-packages, but not all. A few of them are the
>> XML-RPC interface used by Apache.
>>

> A lot of that code I don't think we want to expose as a python library -
> it's not ready to be used that way. It's really the guts of
> applications.
>
> Are you certain that /usr/share is not appropriate? I thought that .pyc
> files were portable, so all of that is arch-independent. Additionally,
> other python apps store their code there.

Well rpmlint didn't like them there, though now I suspect it was more
the #!/usr/bin/python -E that many of the files had that was the real
problem.

I really think it is cleaner to limit the number of files in
/usr/share/ipa/ipaserver. Putting the installation stuff there always
confused me.

It also lets us move away from the sys.path.append("/usr/share/ipa") stuff.

I'm easy though. I've got the .spec files down to warning just about
missing documentation. I think that I can probably move the stuff I put
into /usr/lib/python*/site-packages/ipaserver back into
/usr/share/ipa/ipaserver with little problem.

I hope to have a patch out by COB if you want to wait to see what I've
done. I'm testing an 'make local-dist' rpm install on a vanilla box
right now and so far so good.

rob