[Freeipa-devel] branching 1.0

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 17:51:38 UTC 2008

We are rapidly approaching 1.0 so we need to start thinking about
branching. I've done a little reading on mercurial branches in
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch8.html

I'm not sure which the best method for us is.

It seems to boil down to 2 methods:

1. Create a new repository that reprsents the 1.0 branch.
2. Keep all branch information within a single repository.

#1 has the advantage that you have a logical and physical separation of
the code in each branch. I'm not sure if our hoster supports that, I'll
check in #fedora-admin.

If not then we'll do a more traditional branch-in-repo method. It just
seems so nice to have things completely separate so we don't have to
worry about working in the wrong tree.

Anyway, this is my first mercurial project, wasn't sure if we had anyone
more seasoned with some advice on how to proceed.

rob