[Freeipa-devel] FreeIPA 1.1 Released

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:07:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Joe Royall <joe at 2resonate.net> wrote:

>> > were

>> > http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/freeipa.git/

>> > 1.0.
>> > on

>> > Still no RHEL 5/Centos 5 RPMS?
>>
>> Anthony,
>> RHEL 5/CentOS 5 require backporting of a few packages to be able to
>> successfully use freeipa.
>> It will require quite some work within EPEL to backport stuff like
>> turbogears, the kdc ldap backend and other python dependencies.
>> If someone wants to picj that work up it would be nice, but we do not
>> plan on doing that work as part of the FreeIPA project.
>
> Wouldn't that make FreeIPA and Ovirt kind of useless until RHEL6?
>
> Other than updated python support, what is required?

In an enterprise environment where you are supposed to only run
approved OS's.. yes (I will be running into this while I get an
allowance with my management to put in Fedora). However, the truth of
the matter is that upstream for projects always move from from what is
'enterprise ready' and then if there is a corporate need, they will
put in a lot of effort to get it ready.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux