[Freeipa-devel] Question about XML/RPC backend

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 14:31:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:04 +0430, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I am trying to learn the FreeIPA architecture. Most of it makes sense. I
> do have one question. How does the XML/RPC backend manipulate system
> configuration files when the Apache process is not run as root?

It does not.
At the moment all we change is LDAP entries, anything that requires
configuration changes need to be run via the CLI on the servers.

For the future I expect to move most of the configuration still in files
to LDAP, and for the few things we need to do on the machine to have a
smaller daemon/setuid helper to run commands as root/appropriate user.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York