[Freeipa-devel] installation issues

Mark Christiansen mchristi at u.washington.edu
Wed May 14 22:36:20 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

I joined the developer list to attempt to work out basic issues with
installation both in a Virtual Machine running FC7 (VMware) and on RHEL5.1.
I am unable to install on either platform.  Please help me work it out, as I
would love to help make freeipa a better tool.

First of all, on the RHEL5.1 machine, issuing a "yum install
--enablerepo=updates-testing ipa-server" doesn't work.  What now?  Could
this be added to the installation or troubleshooting page somehow?  (Is this
something I can help maintain?)

Secondly, on the FC7 VM, whenever I issue a ldap* command, I get an error
from ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s.  I am a noob, but the web page suggests I
should update fedora-ds.  I thought doing the yum install command should
take care of installing that package.  If I do a yum list, I can clearly see
I have a sufficient level of fedora-ds.  If I continue to modify the
installation for a VM as the instructions state, I eventually lose the
ability to communicate to freeipa through the html page.  So really, there
are two issues here.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong, what I may be missing, or know
of how I can help to get this working?

Thanks!

-Mark