[Freeipa-devel] automount in LDAP

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 14:25:47 UTC 2008

Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 10:02 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>> Simo Sorce wrote:
>>> How do clients choose which server to connect to ?
>> Hardcoded in /etc/sysconfig/autofs on Fedora and RHEL.
>>
>>> Is there any concept like that in automount ? Should we care ?
>> AFAIK there is no accomodation for this. We'd either have to provide
>> separate areas (in the dn) to store the maps or the end-user would need
>> to carefully configure things.
>
> I think providing separate areas then is paramount. Admins should be
> able to define "locations" and the maps would be created inside these
> location. This way admins can set different automount options for
> clients located in different places. I am sure clients in Australia are
> not going to use the same automount maps as for clients in Baltimore.

If we add some sort of location identifier for automount what
implications does this have for other features? Do we want to have
per-location settings for anything else?

My plan is to embed the location into the DN of the automount map and
key names using cn.

For the UI we'll need some method of selecting/managing this list of
locations (drop-down box comes to mind). I'm not sure if storing this
separately is a good idea or not.

I just want to avoid any short-term choices I make don't have long-term
consequences.

rob