[Freeipa-devel] "Commit comments log" functionality in IPA

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 19:21:04 UTC 2008

Dmitri Pal wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 10:56 -0500, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>>
>>> Simo Sorce wrote:

<snip>

>>> No. The whole idea is to make it non-editable at all. Only add.
>>>

>> Exactly this is something that does not exist in the LDAP model, nor in
>> the ACI model we have.
>>
> I am pretty sure the plugin can take care of that.  If not  I would
> agree that this is not a good idea.
> Nathan? Rich?
The plug-in could easily take care of this by intercepting operations on
the comment attribute at the pre-op stage.  That said,
I belive that this can be accomplished by using the "targattrfilters"
keyword in an ACI.  You can allow one to add values
for a targetted attribute, but not delete and values.  Doing a replace
operation requires both "add" and "del" privileges, so
simply giving someone "add" privileges only for the comment attribute
would acheive the desired result.

>>> Only later we might start diving into ACIs and deal with the
>>> complexity of editing the data by admins that have different levels
>>> of privileges.

<snip>