[Freeipa-devel] "Commit comments log" functionality in IPA

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 16:45:34 UTC 2008

>> Nathan, Rich. Is it a better approach from a pure technical angle?
> That would give you a lot more flexibility in terms of schema,
> indexing, sorting, searching, etc.  And the comments would still be
> associated with the data, although not as tightly coupled.
>
> Minuses:
> * comments not included directly with the data - not as tightly
> coupled as having the comments in the same entry as the data -
> operations to the same entry in LDAP are atomic, but operations to
> multiple entries are not atomic (we have no LDAP transactions)
> * the sub-entries might turn up in subtree searches, which may confuse
> some applications - we might be able to "hide" these entries by making
> them a subclass of ldapSubEntry objectclass - then you would only see
> them if you ask for them explicitly
> * more data to manage - larger databases, indexes, more entries, etc.

Thanks Rich. I am still struggling with understanding why we would need
search and indexing capabilities for these comments. With generic
ordered attribute we probably need. But with comments we do not. As I
see the use case one would be interested in commit comments for an entry
in general and would not want to search an entry in the DS that
contained some special string (for example ticket number) by that
string. The case is the reverse. I have the entry and what to know how
its evolution was authorized.

I guess I am struggling with comparing the benefits of this approach and
minuses to the mine original proposal. One of the reasons I can't assess
the amount of work.
I will think more about it. It seems a bit too heavy but one would argue
that plugins are too heavy. May be. That is why I need to give it a try
and play with it more.

Thanks
Dmitri