[Freeipa-devel] CRITICAL failed to add Full Principal Sasl mapping

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 18:13:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 14:08 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> NWith wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I'm new to the forums, but I've already searched for my problem and
> > found this page:
> > http://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-devel/2008-June/msg00109.html
> >
> > My problem is that I keep getting
> >
> > [1/16]: creating directory server user
> >  [2/16]: creating directory server instance
> >  [3/16]: adding default schema
> >  [4/16]: enabling memberof plugin
> >  [5/16]: enabling referential integrity plugin
> >  [6/16]: enabling distributed numeric assignment plugin
> >  [7/16]: configuring uniqueness plugin
> >  [8/16]: creating indices
> >  [9/16]: configuring ssl for ds instance
> >  [10/16]: configuring certmap.conf
> >  [11/16]: restarting directory server
> >  [12/16]: adding default layout
> >  [13/16]: configuring Posix uid/gid generation as first master
> >  [14/16]: adding master entry as first master
> >  [15/16]: initializing group membership
> >  [16/16]: configuring directory to start on boot
> > done configuring dirsrv.
> > Configuring Kerberos KDC
> >  [1/13]: setting KDC account password
> >  [2/13]: adding sasl mappings to the directory
> > root        : CRITICAL failed to add Full Principal Sasl mapping
> > Unexpected error - see ipaserver-install.log for details:
> >  local variable 'e' referenced before assignment
> >
> > So far, I've used CentOS 5.2, RHEL 5, and Fedora 11 on a brand-new,
> > clean virtual machine, but despite following the other methods
> > discussed in the thread, I still
> > come to this error. Can anyone who has experienced (and hopefully
> > solved) this error please point me in the right direction as to what
> > to do?
>
> Look in /var/log/ipaserver-install.log for more details. The error
> message you're seeing is because there appears to be a bug in it trying
> to report the actual failure. In other words, the installer failed for
> some reason and because of a bug isn't really giving you the right
> reason. The install log should have the details we need.

Couple of random thoughts from a lurker:
(i) does freeipa upstream run pylint or pychecker e.g. during the
rpmbuild process?  That might help catch this kind of issue.

(ii) have you looked at "python-meh"?  it's a Python module for
submitting bug reports from Python exceptions, originally written for
Anaconda:
http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/python-meh.git

Hope this is helpful; I'll go back to lurking now :-)
Dave