[Freeipa-devel] Mixed environment - MS and NIX

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 15:06:00 UTC 2009

Hi Christoffer,

There are different options you have.
You can use Samba 3 to make the UNIX/Linux machines authenticate against AD.
You can use pure FDS as your Linux IDM but IPA is definitely better
suited for this purpose.
FreeIPA 1.2.1 has the AD synch functionality. I would suggest you
evaluating this component.
If the capabilities it provides meet your needs then FreeIPA + winsync
component will be the first choice.
If the functionality is not enough you may consider using winsync that
comes with FDS but in this case you would have to use bare bones FDS and
would loose all the advantages of the integration of the FDS+Kerberos
that IPA provides.

Thank you
Dmitri