[Freeipa-devel] CLA or contribution policy?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 16:37:10 UTC 2009

Karsten Wade wrote:
> Recently when I was asking around about the contributor license
> agreement (CLA) that covers FreeIPA, the Legal man asked, "What does
> the FreeIPA project want?  Do they want a full-blown CLA or would a
> simpler contribution policy do?"  By asking ourselves this question,
> we have a chance to resolve (be happier) about the current CLA, get it
> changed to a more useful agreement, or switch entirely to a
> declarative policy of some kind.

I might be wrong but I do not think anyone looked at the problem this way.
Some good guidance on the matter will be helpful.
What does freeIPA project wants? Good question.
I think the answer lays somewhere along the lines of:
* It wants to be sufficiently legally covered
* Does not want to create obstacles to contribution
* Does not want to affiliate itself with a specific distribution.

Any ideas how that can be translated into appropriate CLI or policy?

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Engineering Manager IPA project,