[Freeipa-devel] LDAP connections and the new ldap backend plugin

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 15:03:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 11:54 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Jason Gerard DeRose wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 08:49 -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
> >> I'm not sure I understand.  If the connection object is
> >> ipaserver.ipaldap.IPAdmin which is a subclass of SimpleLDAPObject, can't
> >> the connection object be "cast" and used directly as a
> >> SimpleLDAPObject?  Or does the IPA code change/overload the methods such
> >> that it is not usable any more as a SimpleLDAPObject?
> >
> > The subclass overrides methods, so code written against SimpleLDAPObject
> > would probably break.
>
> My concern is that we use this object in more places than just the
> XML-RPC server. What is this going to mean for those? I suppose just
> more complicated setup code though I guess we could write a few methods
> to handle that.
>
> How do you propse handling the other methods in IPAdmin such as
> getEntry, deleteEntry, etc?

I am wondering if we should really worry that plugins can't use our ldap
object.

Existing code would probably have to be adapted to our tree/conventions,
otherwise it will probably do something stupid with the tree anyway.
I am wondering if actually forcing adaptation of the code is actually a
good idea so that people don't throw garbage in ?

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York