[Freeipa-devel] Re: Need Advice on "DEB" packaging.

Miguel P.C. mpcolino at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:58:33 UTC 2009

Hi!

> Ahead of time, could you tell me what distribution of Ubuntu you are
> doing your development on and what patches you've applied to get the
> source to build in that environment?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty".
To build the packages I'm using "pbuilder" to have a, let's say,
pristine environment to work every time I try to build.

> I'd like to put together a VM and
> see if I can duplicate your results to make it easier to debug.

Just install Ubuntu 9.04 in the VM and follow the Ubuntu Packaging Guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete

If I'm not wrong I installed the following packages (some simply meta-packages):
* build-essential
* ubuntu-dev-tools
* dev-scripts
* dh-make
* pbuilder

Then I created the environmet with the following command line:
$ sudo pbuilder create
When used w/o options it simply creates it with the same version of
the system you are working on.

Then I wrote the files needed to create a debian package up to the
point when build is needed (no further testing). I attach those files
as they are not big at all.

Afterwards I download the source file (sssd-0.3.3.tar.gz) unpack it,
unpack the debian directory inside the unpacked source (no
tongue-twister intended) and copy it to  sssd_0.3.3.orig.tar.gz.

Finally I go into sssd-0.3.3 directory and run pdebuild. This creates
the environment with the specified build-deps (included in the
"debian/control" file)  and tries to compile/build the package.

Hope this helps. (My 0.02 €)

M*