[Freeipa-devel] Re: Certificate enrollment, principal names

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 15:22:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 09:08 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 13:21 -0500, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> >> This is about right. What you're missing is storing the certificate
> >> in
> >> the service record. To do this we need to know what the target is.
> >>
> >> Nalin and I simply took two different approaches to sending this. We
> >> can
> >> easily support either method by making the principal an optional
> >> attribute and looking for it in the CSR if not provided (assuming I
> >> can
> >> get my head around PKCS#10 enough to grab attributes).
> >
> > Given we should prevent "tricks" from people the server side should
> > really parse the CSR and validate it against the ACL IMO.
> > Otherwise do we have any other part that checks that host
> > foo.example.com is asking a certificate for itself and not for
> > bar.example.com ?
> >
> > Simo.
> >

> When binding using machine credentials, in order to request a
> certificate for any host they need to be in the managedBy attribute of
> the target service entry.

I know, but I was referring to stuff like subjectAltName.
Not sure if we need to test it against an ACL to be honest, but we need
to validate that as well (and any other attribute that can affect client
behavior). Whether this is done in IPA or in the CA is not really
important as long as it is done by a component that have enough
information to determine what is ok or not, depending on the "user"
requesting the new cert.
For example admin may be allowed to stuff just any random crap in
subjectAltName but maybe a host shouldn't be.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York