[Freeipa-devel] autogen.sh script?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 14:42:02 UTC 2010

John Dennis wrote:
> Who wrote our autogen.sh script and why?
>
> Why aren't we using autoreconf instead?
>
> FWIW autogen.sh is seriously broken, it's getting incorrect results when
> comparing different versions of tools. It thinks 1.7 is newer than 1.11
> because it's doing string comparisons which causes it to run the wrong
> versions of some of the tools. I can fix the version comparison but my
> inclination is not to bother since autogen scripts have been replaced by
> the autoreconf tool. As for testing the minimum required tool version;
> is there an actual problem being solved by this?

I forget the details but it dates back to the origins of the project,
perhaps there was a problem with autoreconf back then.

The autotools often blow themselves up which may be the reason for
requiring a minimum. I remember a problem in libtool where it didn't
work on Solaris 64-bit in something like versions 1.5.10 - 1.5.20, was
fixed in 1.5.21, then broke again in 1.5.22. Lots of fun.

So if you want to replace it or fix it plesae do.

rob