[Freeipa-devel] what's deprecated & what's in use in our tree?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 21:05:50 UTC 2010

Thanks Rob, a couple more questions:

>> According to Jason everything under ipapython is deprecated right?
>
> No.
>>
>> Is everything under ipaserver/install deprecated too?
>
> No. This is the server installer code.

Earlier today Jason said this:

"the legacy code from v1 (ipapython, the installer) and the new plugable
v2 code (ipalib, ipaserver)"

Then what did Jason mean when he used the term "legacy"? I took that to
mean deprecated, or did he mean it's just older vintage?

>> Under ipaserver the only imports for ipapython are in the
>> ipaserver/install directory, which is o.k. because install is deprecated.
>
> No, this is where we put common code that is not part of the framework.
>
> ipapython is sort of common client/server code that lives outside the
> management framework that Jason did (ipalib).

O.K. I'm still confused :-) Above you state ipaserver/install *and*
ipapython is where common code outside the framework belongs. Is there a
fine distinction being drawn between the two import areas such that they
can't live together?

Can you define the term "framework"?

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>