[Freeipa-devel] Proposed changes to the HBAC grammar

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Nov 17 21:51:21 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 04:31 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:07:24 -0500
> Stephen Gallagher<sgallagh at redhat.com>  wrote:
>

>> This will require two changes to the HBAC schema. First of all, we
>> plan to drop the week-of-the-month concept entirely and replace it
>> with septet-of-the-month. This is being done to eliminate the
>> ambiguity entirely. Secondly, we will need to describe
>> day-of-the-septet in the grammar (where the day of the septet
>> describes the name of the weekday, and not its numerical position
>> within the septet, as that would be a useless and complex duplication
>> of the day-of-the-month concept).
>>

> I think we can keep using 1-7 in the septet with the
> understanding that 1 is always Monday, 2 is always Tuesday and so on.
>
> Simo.

I'd like to propose that we have a goal to be as close to the Cron
grammar as practicable. So we should allow 0 or 7 for Sunday. This is in
keeping with your proposal.

Here are the examples from the crontab 5 manpage;

# run five minutes after midnight, every day
5 0 * * * $HOME/bin/daily.job >> $HOME/tmp/out 2>&1
# run at 2:15pm on the first of every month -- output mailed to paul
15 14 1 * * $HOME/bin/monthly
# run at 10 pm on weekdays, annoy Joe
0 22 * * 1-5 mail -s "It’s 10pm" joe%Joe,%%Where are your kids?%
23 0-23/2 * * * echo "run 23 minutes after midn, 2am, 4am ..., everyday"
5 4 * * sun echo "run at 5 after 4 every sunday"

I'm not sure that 'First Wednesday of the month' is possible with this
grammar, either. Yet, somehow, it has survived many years.

Since we are so close to deadline on this, I suspect we should go with
something as straightforward as this, and expand it post release.