[Freeipa-devel] Icon Development

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 02:03:31 UTC 2010

I got tripped up recently on the similarity between the the singular and
plural verisons of the icons:  I saw hosts and host groups side by side
and thought I was looking at duplicates.  I thought I'd take a stab at
revising our visual language in reference to singular, plural, and
nesting of objects.

I've posted my design here.  I couldn't find the original images that
Kyle used, so please don't laugh too hard at my hand drawn version
here.  They are not intended to be final cuts, but rather just demos.

http://admiyo.fedorapeople.org/ipa/svg-icons/

Singular is basically unchanged.  We use the same icon for user as we
did before
Plural (Group, host group)  is the singular arrainged in a circle.  Note
that netgroups incorporates both user and hosts i
Enrollment of a singular into a plural is shown by an arrow moving into
the circle
Nesting of one plural inside another plural can be show one of three
alternatives:

Two circles coming together.  I've drawn it both with and without the
user that would appear at the intersection of the two groups.  I think
that with the user is clearer

I've done a version which is just a simple box around the outside edge
of the icon.  While more abstract, this motif will hopefully jump out
more to the eye.

At the bottom of the page I've included some of the svg files that I
used to draw these.  I'm sure we can come up with better that this, but
to make the discussion collaborative, we'll need to use assets that we
can share.